DM and MM's Tasmania Trip Diary

Day 19 - Launceston to Spirit of Tasmania

Thursday, 13 April, 2000

[ << previous | index | next >> ]

Woke up just before 7am this morning. Dressed, packed bags and packed the car before 8am brekky, which was very nice with fruit salad and yoghurt.

Drove off to Devonport ferry terminal by way of the Tamar Island Reserve which is a wetland reserve not far out of Launceston. We walked out through the swampy area on a path, seeing a big black snake slithering away through the reeds just beside the path. Eventually we came to a boardwalk and a bridge across the river. We saw lots of ducks and swans and other weirdo birds, but they all kept their distance from us, so we didn't get to see them really close. We walked back to a constructed bird hide and managed to stay long enough to see one swan fairly close, followed by another bird we didn't recognise.

We left and drove north up the bank of the Tamar through Rosevears, then took the turnoff along the main road to Devonport. Along the way we stopped at Asbestos Range National Park (since changed name to Narawntapu National Park) to get the last National Park of our trip. We drove out to the beach area and took the short walk to the beach to see how beautiful and untouched it was. From there it was a quick drive into Devonport.

Mudflats at Asbestos Range National Park

We stopped in the city centre for lunch at a Banjo's Bakery - very nice. Then we explored the Devonport mall a bit before heading back to the car and driving out to Mersey Bluff where we saw the lighthouse and the Triaggar Tasmanian Aborigine cultural museum, which was very interesting.

Then we drove across to East Devonport and the Spirit of Tasmania terminal to board the ferry for Melbourne. This time I was corralled into a waiting/sorting area for onloading cars and waited for some time before getting on board, where I found Michelle waiting. We checked out the cabin, dumping our stuff, then headed out to kill the time until departure by checking the onboard shop, getting the rest of our National Park stamps, and buying a pack of cards to play rummy with for the next 2 hours until dinner. The dinner buffet was again pretty good.

After dinner we checked the ship's photographer because he had taken a pic of Michelle out in the passenger terminal earlier. We ended up buying a photo frame and getting a copy of the photo free with it. Then we played some more cards and retired for the night to our cabin for some very tired sleep...

[ << previous | index | next >> ]

Home | DM's Travel Page | DM & MM's Tasmania Diary
Last updated: Tuesday, 24 April, 2018; 23:27:15 PDT.
Copyright © 1990-2017, David Morgan-Mar.
Hosted by: DreamHost